Call for Abstracts
***SUBMISSIONS HAVE NOW CLOSED***
2018 AEA Call for Abstracts
The 2018 Australasian Epidemiological Association (AEA) Annual Scientific Meeting will be held in Perth, Western Australia on 23 and 24 October. The conference theme is The Future of Epidemiology: Maximizing Use of Data. You are invited to submit an abstract for an oral or poster presentation. Submissions that focus on methodological approach around the conference theme are highly regarded.
Abstract submission guidelines are as follows:
- Abstract title: limited to 10 words
- Abstract content: limited to 250 words with subheadings of background, aim, methods, results and conclusion
- Speaker biography: limited to 50 words
Abstracts can be submitted as:
- Standard oral presentation (15 minutes - 12 minute presentation time, 3 minute question time)
- Short oral presentations (5 minutes presentation time – 1 minute question time, maximum 3 slides)
- Poster presentation
- Students can have their submissions considered for a student award.
- Two awards for Indigenous students (1 Australia, 1 New Zealand).
- Once abstracts have been reviewed they cannot be changed
- Aboriginal and Torres Straits Islander students can have their submissions considered for an award
- Māori and Pacific Islander students can have their submissions considered for an award
Abstracts will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Relevance to conference theme and chosen sub-themes (see below for list of sub-themes)
- Clarity and applicability to the audience
- Novelty and appropriateness of the methods/approach
- Likely impact/translation
- Overall impression
Abstract submissions will be accepted online until midnight AWST Sunday 10 June 2018.
Acceptances will be emailed to the submitting authors in early July 2018.
Abstract submission sub-themes
- Cancer epidemiology
- Chronic Disease epidemiology
- Clinical epidemiology
- Environmental health (including climate change)
- Genetic epidemiology
- Health economics, health services and health systems
- Implementation science, translation from research to practice
- Infectious Disease epidemiology
- Mental health epidemiology (including cognitive functions; suicide)
- Methods, including field epidemiology; data linkage; analytic; machine learning; recruitment, data collection, surveillance, sharing, novel statistical analyses, ethics in the digital age
- Nutritional epidemiology
- Occupational epidemiology
- Others, including aging, lifestyle factors, addiction and/or substance use disorder, injury, affecting population of any ages
- Perinatal epidemiology
- Pharmacoepidemiology and precision medicine
Abstracts for all Conference presentations will be printed in the Conference booklet and on the Conference webpage and app. The Program Committee will select some presentations for the oral program from the submitted abstracts and will notify those authors. Other submissions will be offered a poster presentation.
- Abstract Submission Due Date: midnight AWST Sunday 10 June 2018.
- When submitting your abstract, please follow the guidelines below to what your abstract should include:
- an introductory statement that outlines the background and significance of the study
- a succinct description of the basic methodologies
- a clear indication of the major findings of the study
- a concluding statement
- Abstracts cannot contain more than 250 words in the main body of the abstract.
- You will be able to select between an oral presentation and a poster presentation at the time of abstract submission. Please note that some requests for talks may need to be moved to poster presentations.
- WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW BEFORE I START MY SUBMISSION?
The submission process is online from the same profile you create for registration. It will work with any contemporary browser and the system will let you know if there is a problem with your browser version. When ready, you should open your document so you can cut and paste into the online system. Please do not work from .pdf files. The steps are straight forward and the abstract builds online as you paste in so you can check it is correct as you go through the process.
The benefits of this system are many but include:
i. Allowing you to preview your abstract and make modifications to your satisfaction;
ii. Ensuring you know your lodgement is completed as you will receive an immediate email confirmation;
iii. Ensuring accurate indexing of all authors in the abstract book;
iv. Ensuring consistent presentation of all abstracts in the proceedings (overarching formatting is imposed).
Note that your abstract will not be included in the program if you do not register and pay for your registration.
- WHEN YOU'VE FINISHED THE SUBMISSION
You will receive a confirmation email after your Abstract Submission has been successfully submitted. You can view or edit your abstract by returning to your Currinda profile. If you do not receive this confirmation email, please contact the Conference Secretariat.
Changes can be made to your abstract until the scoring process begins. Just return to your Conference Dashboard and select the Edit option under Abstracts tab. The edit option will no longer appear once scoring has commenced.
- WHEN WILL I FIND OUT MY RESULT?
Abstract Submission Due Date : midnight AWST Sunday 10 June 2018.
Notification to speakers of abstract selection : Mid-June 2018.
Email notification of programming decisions will come from the secretariat shortly after the expiry of deadlines and the working program will be posted to the web site. It will also appear on your Currinda profile.The notification will include specific presentation instructions but in the interim, those preparing posters should note the maximum size allowed is 100cm wide by 120cm deep. Velcro will be available to fix the poster to the boards onsite.
- WILL MY ABSTRACT BE ACCESSIBLE ONLINE?
A week before the meeting, the final program will be available on this web page. The abstracts will also be available on the conference ‘App’. When submitting your abstract you can opt to withhold your abstract from being published in the conference program & App if you wish.